Wednesday, October 19, 2011

This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you

A whole piece of bread sitting on the lawn.

Two ducks looking at me wanting food.

They are not the smartest ducks in the world these two.

I had just finished making a tui feeder by hollowing out a piece of wood with a hammer and chisel, and I had left a lot of wood chips on the lawn. The ducks had turned up, noticed the wood chips, investigated, discovered they were not food, and accordingly decided to sit on the lawn and quack. Loudly.

I wanted to watch them enjoying the food, and I wanted them to know that I was responsible for them getting food. I tried calling them over, but they have not quite learned my voice, so they just looked at me and continued quacking.

I only had one option left to show them where the food was: fear. I walked around behind them, and they started to move away, looking at me nervously. It only took about 10 seconds to manoeuver them towards the bread.

It took a little fear, but I managed to get them to where the bread was.

No comments:

Post a Comment